Sunday, July 06, 2014

Saturday Bike Ride

I decided to head out on my bike yesterday and go to the old reformatory on York Road, which has long been closed.  The grounds are quite impressive, but because it has not been used for anything meaningful in years, it is going to ruin.  CC suggested I take a trail that goes beside the Eramosa River to get there.  It was a quiet, narrow trail, but quite peaceful, and crossed the tracks at one point.


I ended up on some road, south of the dump, which we had been to earlier in the day. So, I had to head back north, along roads that had lots of gravel at the sides and heavy vehicular traffic, not my favourite combination, but I persisted.  Once I got to York Road, it was a quick jaunt to the reformatory grounds, after making a death-defying dash across the road of endless, speeding cars.  First stop was the old buildings that still look lived in.
Rusty water anyone?
In need of a paint job.
A fine, old, unused building.
Ibid.

Boarded-up chapel.
Once, I had a look at the old buildings, I went over to the lake (pond?), where some people were fishing, the geese were swimming and a turtle was sunning itself on a rock. There weren't a lot of people about, so it was a relaxing wander 'round.





After that, I took another death-defying run across the road and cycled home.

2 comments: