Friday, April 12, 2013

Ice Day


Darling Buds of April?
     Woke up at my usual ungodly hour of five this morning only to discover that there was no power in the house, nor in the neighbourhood AND everything was coated with a thick sheath of ice!  Well, no shower, no work, especially as the bathroom was pitch black and I probably would have killed myself. I also didn't know what the road conditions were like and couldn't listen to a radio to find out, so it was stay-at-home-and-chill day!  I informed CC and then it was back to bed to keep warm and get some more sleep.
Icy Chicken Wire
     Once we got up, and realized there was still no power, emergency measures needed to be taken - yep, we put on some clothes and went out in search of coffee and breakfast.  Luckilly, there were a few places downtown that were open and functioning, so we warmed up with coffee and food.  The sidewalks were treacherous, but at least everything looked shiny even if it had started to rain and the sky was grey.

     By the time we got home, the power was back on, so I had a long, hot shower and got dressed.  CC followed suit and then we headed back downtown to do some banking now that we were "connected" once more.
Heath
     I went out a few more times to take some pictures, hoping that the sun would come out which would have made for a great photo-op, but it stayed dull, grey and miserable and continued to rain most of the day.  As the day progressed, the ice finally fell from the branches and rained down on the ground.  I was firmly ensconced on the couch watching TV shows on my laptop and drinking herbal tea so was safe and sound from the elements.


6 comments:

  1. I thought maybe we had woken up in hell today, and hell would be freezing cold wouldn't it! What a hideous day. Your photos capture it perfectly. I was up half the night listening to all of the poor little trees breaking and the winds howling.
    I wish you'd popped by to see me I could have used some cheering up, though the girls had their schools closed so we did have good measures of silliness, always a nice antidote!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't pop by, but it was such a miserable day that I stayed in for most of it reading and watching some programmes on my laptop.

      Delete
  2. 'emergency measures needed to be taken - yep, we put on some clothes'.

    Despite a law requiring spare food, mask and gloves, these emergency measures are pretty much the only ones we abide by... although I'd probably get a lot more help if I kept them off...pity points.

    Today is the first day Geneva has decent weather. The gardening center was a manic of people. We bought a lemon tree (smells SO amazing) as a house warming gift for a dinner we are going to tonight.

    How do you care for a lemon tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is our first day of real spring - see the latest blog post! Master Gardener, CC, says that Lemon Trees need lots of bright, filtered light and that they should be watered well and allowed to almost dry out before watering again. Also, springtime is the time to fertilize. Good luck! May the lemons proliferate.

      Delete