Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tree Walk

Norway Maple
     The other night, being restless and having eaten a much too large dinner, CC and I went for a long walk.  The snow was starting to melt, so the grass, brown as it was, was making a much-appreciated and anticipated reappearance.  In addition, the sun was starting to set (an hour later for the first time this year due to daylight savings!).

Black Locusts
     Along the way, we passed many grand specimens of trees.  I enjoy stopping and looking up at the shape and silhouettes of trees, something which is much more readily appreciated at this time of year when they have yet to leaf out.  Near the Speed River, I was quite taken by the gnarly, colourful specimen up top and asked CC what type it was.  I was surprised to hear it was a Norway Maple as CC's influence has taught me to think of them as "junk trees".  This one had lots of lichen on the bark and the setting sun made it practically glow.  I loved the many branches that split off from the trunk, giving it a full and strong appearance.  Further on, with the sun rapidly setting, we encountered the above silhouettes of Black Locusts.  The branches seem to haphazardly zig-zag off the main, erect trunk giving them a very wisened look.
European Larch
     Another great thing about tree silhouettes are their seed capsules.  European Larches, being coniferous (no, they don't eat meat CC!) have cone-bearing branches and at the time of the evening I took the photo, looked as if they were full of birds.  Catalpas, on the other hand, have bean pods that elegantly hang from the branches, finger-like.  One day, I will gather together the pictures of trees I have taken over the years and pick the best ones for printing, framing and hanging so I can bring some of the outside world in.

Catalpa


1 comment: