Saturday, January 26, 2013

Toronto Book Club

Chinatown
     Stayed in Toronto this past Thursday for my book club.  After work, I walked downtown, bought a new winter coat from MEC, had dinner at Banh Mi Boys on Queen Street near Spadina (delicious!) and walked up Spadina then along College at sunset (golden hour!).

U of T
College and University
     It was incredibly cold out and my hands froze every time I took off my gloves to take a picture.  I went back to work to escape the cold and have some warming mint tea, then took the subway over to the book club host's place.
     It was nearly a full house and we had some lively discussion about the book.  I had never read anything by P.D. James before and was amazed that she was in her 90s when she wrote it!  It is a continuation of Pride and Prejudice (it's 200 year anniversary is this Monday by the way) and has a murder mystery thrown in.  It was entertaining but the actual solving of the mystery was a bit of a letdown.  Our lovely host, BJ, had some good food for us and we enjoyed playing with her 7 month old cat, Edwin.  I suggested a book by Sebastian Barry for the next book club, as I immensely enjoyed "On Canaan's Side" by him for my Guelph book club.

1 comment: