Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Negative Space

     No, it's not a) where cynical Astronauts go, b) how much room the average Toronto condo has, or c) what masochists look for.  It's another Globe and Mail photo contest!  This time, applicants are required to take pictures where there is empty space around the subject or focus of the photograph.  I took a bunch of photos in downtown Toronto today with this in mind and thought I'd share a few with you here...
Queen's Park Memorial
     This is one of my favourite memorials.  It is situated in the north end of Queen's Park, not far from the ROM and stands quite tall.  It is quite a simple structure, with the fussiness at the top, but looks like it could withstand a nuclear attack.  It's monochromatic elegance contrasts wonderfully with the blue sky and tree branches.
Lawn Hydrant
     This one is a bit of a lark. A lone yellow fire hydrant amidst a sea of verdant lawn.  Surely a dog's paradise, non?

Varsity Stadium
     This shot was taken on Bloor Street, looking south.  The shiny, metal letters that spell out VARSITY sit on a wall in front of the concrete side of the stadium where people go to watch various U of T sporting events.  Again, the blue sky provides great contrast.

Yorkville Pigeon
     Last, but not least, is my favourite of the lot.  I was on Bloor Street in the Yorville area and saw an alleyway heading south.  As the sun was in my eyes, I walked down into the shadier part to snap a picture, and in doing so, disturbed an unseen pigeon, that took flight just as I took the picture.  I cropped it and coloured it black and white to make it a bit more dramatic.

1 comment:

  1. If you are entering this contest I am NOT understanding why you are not winning. Brilliant photos my dear you have such the eye!
    xox

    ReplyDelete