Sunday, May 26, 2013

Guelph Pottery Market


     Every year, G-town hosts a weekend-long pottery market down the road amidst the limestone ruins of the historic Goldie Mill, alongside the inaptly-named Speed River.  Over 50 potters from across Ontario gather to display and sell their wares.  As you may recall from previous posts, my mother was a potter, so I have always had an interest in works in clay.  It's incredible how many different colours, textures and uses are on display, so I always feel a little bit confused as to what really grabs me.  CC and I had a quick look around and then we went for lunch so I had time to think about what I really wanted.


     Ironically, both pieces I purchased were from Hamilton potters, and there is a definite Asian influence in their works.  She-Chen Cheng works with Raku and I have admired her work at past Pottery Markets.  The piece I bought looks old and rusted and still smells strongly of the smoke used in the firing.  More information about her and her work can be found here: http://www.azelia.ca  Reid Flock studied in Japan and always comes up with some very esoteric, whimsical pieces that I think are fantastic!  If you like simple mugs and bowls, he is not the potter for you, but if you appreciate pottery-as-art form, then check out his web-site: http://www.studioreid.com/Christopher_Reid_Flock_Ceramics/christopher_reid_flock_ceramics.html  I bought a simple, monochromatic white bowl that is somewhat misshapen and looks great on the dark wood china cabinet.

                                                                                                                                                                              


2 comments: