Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ice Storm

Euonymous Encased

     It has been quite the weekend for weather.  We were out at friends' for a Solstice party last night and even though their place is just down the hill and around the corner, it was wet, slippery and gross out.  We all managed to get there in one piece and proceeded to partake in the seasonal libations.  Coming home wasn't much better as the sidewalks had become sheets of ice and CC was using a cane!  We made it in though and hoped it wouldn't get too windy or else lots of tree branches would be likely to come down.

Icy Cedar

     We awoke this morning to discover that the world, or at least our world, was covered in ice.  Luckilly not many branches were down and there weren't any major disasters.  I went out with my camera to take some pictures and to see if there was any damage.  It was amazing to see everything covered in a thick layer of ice, and many branches were hanging down very low from the weight of their new winter coats.

Crababble Sorbet
     Later on, I went out again and this time went down by the river in Goldie Mill Park.  There were lots of small bits of twigs and branches everywhere, and some larger branches here and there.  The scariest part was the sound of branches snapping and crashing to the ground, right by the river.  It was very reminiscent of the movie, The Road.  I wisely decided not to go down to the river just in case.  It was fairly mild out, but there was still moisture coming down so I had to cover my camera with my hat to keep it dry!

Playground

     After lunch, CC and I went downtown which was surprisingly populated - those without power had come for coffee and warmth.  I left CC at Planet Bean and went on my way to take some more pictures.

I pray for summer!
There's light at the end of the tunnel

No comments:

Post a Comment