Monday, July 20, 2015

Toronto Tourist

Even though I work in the big smoke five days a week, I took a Friday off and went in early a few weeks ago to meet a friend for lunch.  I also took my camera and tripod in to take some pictures. I'll share a few of the better ones here.

Urban Silhouette

This picture of an almost completed new, interestingly-shaped building was taken through a gap in a sculpture, with the morning sun situated at the top of the crane.  I liked the effect of the silhouettes with the sun rays streaming along the side of the sculpture.

Harbourfront silhouette
I walked along the lake at Harbourfront and took a shot of the life-saving equipment at the shoreline, with the Toronto Island ferry and the Islands in the background.  The tree silhouette created some softness and organic shape to the picture.

Harbourfront view
 Along the shoreline, there's an interesting concrete sphere that has been there for years, but has unknown function.  Sculpture perhaps? It made an interesting foreground to the urban background that included the omnipresent CN Tower.

Colourful boats
 This was also taken along the Harbourfront shoreline.  They rent canoes and kayaks, and I like the colours of the stacked hulls and the abstract reflection they made on the dark water.  In the distance, is the old Canada Malting Company building.

University Avenue fountain
 There are a couple of them and they are situated in front of the court house. I liked how the sun back-lit the water.  If you look closely, you can see the trail from a plane in the sky, just below the sun.

Harbourfront Panorama
 I used the Panorama function on my iPhone to capture this vista. The Queen's Quay building can be seen on the far right and left of the photo.

Monument
 I have always loved this old modern building and liked the juxtaposition of the top of the monument on University Avenue with it.

Tunnel
A walkway under a building with the distant green park visible.

1 comment: