Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Origami fun

I have been making Origami pieces, off and on, for some time now, and have recently taken to carrying  some paper with me for the long bus commute home.  The other week, I folded the following standards…
Origami paper waiting to be folded.
Classic Crane.
Turtle, a favourite.
Spinning Top - made with three pieces of paper.
I also like to troll Origami websites to come up with some new ideas, and recently found one that detailed how to make a Pinwheel Cube out of six pieces of paper.  The components are all made the same way and then are assembled by sliding the pointy ends into the pockets. I used six pieces of paper that were black on one side and white on the other, as I liked the contrast and Art Deco look…


I also like to follow some Origami enthusiasts on Instagram, and found one contributor who made cranes.  Interestingly, he also hand-paints the paper or draws doodles or makes cuts in the wings.  This got me thinking because I love to make ornate, paper snowflakes at Christmas, so I decided to give it a try.  I folded the crane in plain, white paper first, marked the wings in pencil, unfolded the crane, then made some cuts with scissors and refolded it.  I was quite happy with the result…


I decided to try a similar method with an Origami Star Box, and loved the result…


I still consider myself something of a beginner, but am always striving to try new things in an attempt to make it more interesting and challenging.

1 comment: