Saturday, August 10, 2013

Summer Bounty - Part II

Apricots, washed and ready to go
     Saturday in G-town is market day, and I love checking out all of the fresh, local produce.  Lately, I have gotten into canning and have found it easy and satisfying, especially when you get to enjoy a taste of summer year round.  Today, I bought a quart of apricots, to make some more apricot chutney (I made a batch 2 weeks ago, but have already given lots away).  I follow the following recipe, but changed it to accommodate the weight of fruit: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Apricot-Chutney-102012.

Half the recipe's worth
     It's quite simple to follow.  Chop the fruit according to preference - I like smaller pieces because I use small (125 mL) mason jars.  In a large pot combine the cider vinegar, fruit, spices, finely chopped red onion and raisins - I used a combination of small, dark Thompson raisins and the larger, golden raisins to provide variety in colour and texture. Allow to simmer, uncovered, for an hour, and then add to pre-sterilized jars.  Voila, you now have a delicious accompaniment for cheese or meat.  The batch I made before was great with sausage rolls and Shepherd's Pie, but let your imagination run wild!


Ready for simmering
                                      
Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment