Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Hop and be Free!


     So, the other day, I'm walking in the back yard, look down and think I see a beetle crawling through the grass.  On closer, inspection, it turned out to be a baby toad!  I saw more that day and have seen others since then and I can't get over how happy it makes me.  It seems our still pond was a successful nursery for toad tadpoles (toadpoles?). There are still a few left in the pond and many have limbs, so they will soon be ready to leave and find new homes.  I can't get over how small and perfectly formed they are and wonder what on earth they eat.  Nice to know we have contributed to the amphibian life cycle and it would be great if some set up home in the front yard's stone hibernaculum.  Now there's a word of the day!

Good camouflage!

3 comments:

  1. Wowzer that's small. Like the size of a tick. "Hop and be free," is what I say as they burrow their way into my leg...alone with a few other choice words ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! But wait, did it poop on your hand?

    ReplyDelete