Sunday, January 08, 2012

Belgian Nurseries

The new addition
     Even though it's a sunny January day and there isn't much snow on the ground, it's still cold outside and there is definitely a lack of greenery in my life.  CC is forcing bulbs in the greenhouse, but none are flowering yet and we needed a hit of spring.  So, we got into the car and headed to Belgian Nurseries, one of our favourite plant destinations.

Colourful leaves
     My favourite area is the cactus/succulent room where they have cleverly put tongs beside the numerous cacti so one doesn't injure one's self when trying to pick one of the damned, pointy things up.  They have some specimens that were clearly planted there many years ago and , as a result, are quite large and imposing.  Some are getting ready to flower, so we will have to make a return trip for that.  Our second favourite area is the orchid room which has many verdant, moisture-loving plants and I can feel my dry, flaky skin breathing out a sigh of relief from the much-needed humidity.  CC buys some bug spray - damn aphids are invading our house begonias - and a couple of spray bottles.  I get the Kalanchoe (pictured above) for it's very unusual flowers.  I have a different one growing in the greenhouse that has beautiful, bell-shaped, orange flowers but is still a couple of years away from producing.  So, if the winter blahs are getting to you, go for a stroll in your local nursery and take in the beauty - you will thank me for it and who knows what new discoveries you will make.

Orchid room

1 comment:

  1. I have to re-type my comment which I just lost like an idiot.

    Must get to Belgian soon, I used to take the kids there when they were small. Love the warm humid air, agreed!

    I feel extra bad about my Christopher's Greenhouse post after reading this: you are clearly equally invested in all of the lovely plants at your house.
    I need a new plant or some flowers or something, Lawd save us from January!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete